Blackpool Sands is a private beach so they charge to park in the summer, but as a result its clean with good loos and a well known organic café selling local food. Café is open every day except for Christmas. No dogs are allowed in the summer.
Bantham has a lovely sandy beach with sand dunes and does allow dogs on one part of the beach to the right [note the sign before you get there says no dogs]. Bantham overlooks Burgh Island (Agatha Christies Evil under the Sun) A sea tractor will take you there from Bigbury.
Crabbing at Dittisham - 2miles away. Park at the top of the village and walk down.
There is a ferry to Dartmouth from Dittisham. Click here for the time table. It's a great way to see the river and theres no parking to worry about in Dartmouth!
Dittisham Sailing school and boat hire www.dittishamboats.co.uk
Greenway ( National Trust) is just the other side of the river reach by a little ferryboat.
From Dartmouth you can take pleasure trips out to sea or up the river to Totnes.
Greenaway - Agatha Christies house and garden, bought by the National Trust a few years ago.
Fishing - Fly, Coarse and Sea.
For Local Rainbow Trout Moreleigh Newhouse fishery is 10mins away Moreleighhttp://www.gethooked.co.uk/fisheries/newhous or for reservoir fishing Kennick is 30 minutes away see Kennick Fly Fishers Club
Sea Fishing at Slapton, Hallsands is good for Bass, caught standing on the rocks.
Dartmouth Golf and Country club is about 1 mile away (website)
As a guest staying at End cottage you are entitled to a 25% discount on Green fees and the leisure suite [pool Jacuzzi sauna and Gym] plus 10% discount on beauty treatments. You need to give them a voucher. They are in the desk by the front door. Our Privilege Plus Membership No is 6919
Steam Train to go to Buckfastleigh
- Trekking on Dartmoor - I have been. It's a well run stable. They are well known in the showing world.
- Butterfly park and Otter Sanctuary - Good for a rainy day you can go by steam train from Totnes.
- Woodlands Leisure Park - I've never been but children like it. Theme park a couple of miles away.
- Torquay Caverns - I've not been but they look good if you are not claustrophobic!
- Paignton Zoo
- National Aquarium at Plymouth
- Letterboxing on Dartmoor - Great fun!
There are a couple of garden's that are well worth a visit:
- Colyton Fishacre. NT
- Blackpool sands there is a garden behind the beach
- Dartington quite large with lawns, herbaceous borders and woodland gardens plus a Henry Moore
- Overbecks at Salcombe almost sub tropical as it is so close to the Gulf Stream NT